Sunday 15 August 2010

Marble Run


'Marble Run' is my second site-specific installation within a stairwell in ECA.


I have recorded to sound of marbles passing through a plastic marble run I used to play with as a child. I will copy the sound onto two separate mp3 players and place them with speakers within the sculpture stairs (see previous map).


The sounds are strange, and very obscure, I'm not sure if the audience will be able to recognise the sound, but that is why I have titled the work 'Marble Run', to give the audience an in.
The idea for this piece developed from thinking about steps in games and the way in which people are intrigued by the journey from one point to another.
It was strange to play with the marble run after so many years, but the sound it makes is so distinctive, that I was keen to translate it for a sound installation. I realised I must have sat very close to the game, as when I played with it recently the sounds weren't as loud as I remember them being, so I used a dictaphone to record the sound and held it right next to the travelling marble. I want to get across this intimacy with the sound, and by placing it in the stairwell I will be combining two separate situations to create a weird new one.
I'm not sure if anyone else will appreciate the environment as it may just be a very personal work, one that I made solely for my own enjoyment. I'm ok with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment