Saturday 24 July 2010

Tutorial with Gordon


Had a bit of a panic because I re-read my artist statement and couldn't believe I'd written it...did I really think that...? Was that what I was trying to do...? Oh dear! But had a tutorial with Gordon and he reassured me about what it was and why... It's all about my need to know that there is an alternative or different way to see, and experience. Mirrors are a tool to create portals to spaces that cannot be accessed, but do exist because we can see them and imagine that we are in them... Architectural space can be altered by creating objects in the space or images of the space that point out and temporarily distort, so that we can see past the everydayness and banality of the space, which might suggest if we can change the physical nature of our urban environment, we can change the psychological nature. Or any nature? I think I could be a definite Situationist, but I am aware of their demise! The idea of it really appeals to me though... but we live in a capitalist consumerist culture where money is on people's mind more than pychogeography!


Decided to concentrate on staircases for final show, as I keep on coming back to them and need to resolve my almost obsessive interest in them... they appeal because they are functional but are so varied in their forms depending on their situation. Tenement stairwells still catch my eye when I pass, as they are definite portals to different realities. vertical panoramas. vessel for shifting mental states. thoroughfares...arteries...

No comments:

Post a Comment